Homemade Meatless Spaghetti Sauce
“When my tomatoes ripen, the first things I make are BLTs and this homemade spaghetti sauce.” —Sondra Bergy, Lowell, Michigan
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
- 4 medium onions chopped
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 12 cups chopped peeled fresh tomatoes
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 3 bay leaves
- 4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1-1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 2 cans tomato paste 6 ounces each
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- Hot cooked pasta
- minced fresh basil optional
- In a Dutch oven, saute onions in oil until tender. Add the tomatoes, garlic, bay leaves, salt, oregano, pepper and basil. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Add tomato paste and brown sugar; simmer, uncovered, for 1 hour. Discard bay leaves. Serve with pasta and basil, if desired.
Test Kitchen tips
- Browned ground beef or Italian sausage can be added to the cooked sauce if desired.
- The sauce also freezes well.
1/2 cup: 133 calories, 7g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 614mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 3g fibre), 2g protein.