Hawaiian Turkey Burgers
“My husband and I love to grill, so hamburgers are often on the menu. This recipe uses ground turkey instead of beef. Topped with pineapple slices, the burgers are moist and juicy.” —Babette Watterson, Atglen, Pennsylvania
Taste of Home
- 1 can sliced pineapple 8 ounces
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium teriyaki sauce
- 4 sesame hamburger buns
- Drain pineapple, reserving 1/4 cup juice (discard remaining juice or save for another use); set pineapple aside. In a large bowl, combine the bread crumbs, onions, red pepper, soy sauce, salt and reserved pineapple juice. Crumble turkey over mixture and mix lightly but thoroughly. Shape into 4 patties.
- On a lightly oiled grill rack, grill, covered, over medium heat for 3 minutes on each side. Brush with teriyaki sauce. Grill 4-6 minutes longer on each side or until a thermometer reads 165° and juices run clear.
- Grill pineapple slices for 2 minutes on each side, basting occasionally with teriyaki sauce. Warm buns on grill; top each with a burger and pineapple slice.
1 burger: 401 calories, 12g fat (3g saturated fat), 78mg cholesterol, 839mg sodium, 43g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 3g fibre), 31g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 starch, 3 lean meat.