Guacamole With a Kick
Chunks of onion, tomato, and jalapeño peppers add so much zing your mouth will sing! Low-fat yogurt and nonfat sour cream lighten the mix and stretch two avocadoes to feed a horde of hungry dunkers.
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt low fat
- 2 small Jalapeño peppers
- 2 plum tomatoes finely chopped
- 1 small white onion finely chopped
- 2 tbsp cilantro minced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup sour cream non fat
- 2 large avocadoes
- 2 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 3 oz tortilla chips baked
- Line the bottom of a strainer with cheesecloth, a coffee filter, or paper towels and set over a medium bowl (strainer should not touch bottom of bowl). Spoon in yogurt, cover, and refrigerate 8 hours or overnight, until yogurt cheese is thich and creamy.
- Remove seeds and ribs from jalapeños with mellon baller (wear gloves when handling, as the peppers can burn); mince. Mix jalapeños, tomatoes, onion, cilantro, and salt in large bowl. Fold in yogurt cheese and sour cream.
- Halve, pit, and peel avacados. Mash with potato masher; sprinkle with lime juice. Quickly fold into tomato mixture. Makes 3 cups guacaomle. Serve wth tortilla chips. To keep a lid on the fat, serve baked, not fried, tortilla chips.
- For an even greater kick, add 1 small diced serrano pepper instead of the jalapeño.