Grilled Vegetables with Romesco Sauce
The variety of grilled vegetables of different colours in this recipe, served Italian-style with a romesco sauce, makes for a hearty appetizer!
Photo: Anti-Ageing Diet Cookbook
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
- Grilled Vegetables
- 1 red bell pepper quartered, seeds removed
- 1 yellow bell pepper quartered, seeds removed
- 1 green bell pepper quartered, seeds removed
- 1 medium eggplant cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 1 large zucchini cut lengthwise into 1/8 inch slices
- olive oil for brushing
- Romesco Sauce
- 2 large ripe tomatoes skins removed, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup blanched almonds toasted
- 1/2 cup hazelnuts toasted, skins removed
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 large red chilli
- 3 garlic cloves crushed
- to taste freshly ground pepper
- Preheat chargrill pan or grill (broiler) to high. Put bell pepper quarters on chargrill or under grill, skin side towards the heat source, and cook, turning occasionally, 5-10 minutes, or until skin is blackened and blistered. When cool enough to handle, peel off skin and cut flesh into thin strips.
- While bell peppers are cooling, brush eggplant slices and zucchini slices with a little oil and grill in batches 2-3 minutes on each side, or until lightly browned and tender.
- To make the romesco sauce, put almonds and hazelnuts in a food processor or blender and process until finely ground. Add the chilli and garlic and process until finely chopped. Add tomatoes, paprika, oil, vinegar and pepper to taste and process to a paste. Transfer to a serving bowl.
- Cut eggplant slices in half. Put eggplant, zucchini and bell peppers in a serving bowl. Toss gently to combine, then serve with the bowl of romesco sauce.
The romesco sauce and grilled vegetables can be made the day before and stored in the refrigerator. Serve at room temperature.