Grilled Fingerling Potatoes and Cabernet Ketchup
Tom Gore Vineyards wines are a work of passion from second-generation Sonoma County grape farmer Tom Gore. In celebration of the farmer’s lifestyle, Tom and his longtime friend, Chef Tiffany Smejkal, have crafted a few Sonoma-inspired recipes. Enjoy them with Tom’s namesake wines, and bring the farmer’s experience to your home throughout the year.
Photo: Tom Gore Vineyards
- Cabernet Ketchup
- 1 red onion chopped
- 2 garlic cloves chopped
- 1 tbsp ginger grated
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 lbs tomatoes peeled, seeded and chopped
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup Tom Gore Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds toasted
- 1 tbsp fennel seeds toasted
- 1 tbsp celery seeds toasted
- 1 cloves
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tbsp celery salt
- 2 tbsp ground black pepper
- to taste salt
- Fingerling Potatoes
- 2 lbs fingerling potatoes
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese grated
- to taste salt
- In a large heavy bottomed sauce pan, on low heat, sweat onion, garlic, and ginger with the olive oil until onion is soft and translucent.
- Meanwhile, make a bouquet garni, with the coriander seed, fennel seed, celery seed, and clove.
- Turn heat to medium-high and add the tomatoes and water. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to a simmer. Reduce by half. Remove from heat.
- Place mixture in a blender and blend until smooth. Pass through a sieve into a new pot with the bouquet garni, sugar, wine, and vinegar. Add remaining spices. Simmer until it thickens and reaches the consistency of ketchup.
- Remove from heat and remove and discard the bouquet garni. Cool.
- For potatoes, cut each potato in half length-wise and toss in the olive oil, salt, and paprika.
- On medium heat, place cut side down onto grill. Cook about 4 minutes on each side or until cook through. Remove from heat.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and serve with chilled ketchup.