Grilled Corn Hummus Tostadas
“This recipe is a combo of Mediterranean and Mexican cuisines, giving it a unique taste. Avocado and hummus may sound like a weird mix, but they really go well together.” —Lauren Knoelke, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Photo: Taste of Home
- 4 medium ears sweet corn husks removed
- 1 small red onion cut crosswise into 1/2-inch slices
- 2 tbsp olive oil divided
- 8 corn tortillas 6 inches
- 1 container hummus 8 ounces
- 1/4 tsp ground chipotle pepper
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes halved
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 medium ripe avocado peeled and sliced
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1 Jalapeño pepper thinly sliced
- lime wedges optional
- Fresh cilantro leaves optional
- Mexican hot pepper sauce optional
- Brush corn and onion with 1 tablespoon oil. Grill corn and onion, covered, over medium-high heat until tender and lightly charred, 5-7 minutes, turning occasionally. Cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, brush tortillas with remaining oil. Grill, covered, until crisp and lightly browned, 2-3 minutes per side.
- Cut corn from cobs. Process hummus, chipotle pepper and 2 cups of the cut corn in a food processor until almost smooth. Coarsely chop grilled onion; toss with tomatoes, salt and any remaining corn.
- Spread hummus mixture over tortillas; top with onion mixture, avocado, cheese and jalapeno. If desired, serve with limes, cilantro and pepper sauce.
Editor's Note: Wear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts 2 tostadas: 453 calories, 23g fat (5g saturated fat), 8mg cholesterol, 692mg sodium, 55g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 12g fibre), 14g protein.