Green Tomato BLT
“I absolutely love tomatoes, any kind, any size. Being from the South, that includes fried green tomatoes. I created a special summer sandwich to show them off.” —Hillian Holmgren, Del Rio, Texas
Photo: Taste of Home
- 2 medium green tomatoes
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup prepared ranch salad dressing
- 2 green onions chopped
- Cut each tomato into 4 slices. In a shallow bowl, mix flour, cornmeal and salt. Pour milk into a separate shallow bowl. Dip tomato slices in milk, then in flour mixture, patting to help coating adhere.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add tomato slices; cook until golden brown, 3-5 minutes on each side.
- Mix salad dressing, green onions and dill. Layer roll bottoms with bacon, lettuce and tomato slices. Spoon dressing mixture over tomatoes; add roll tops.
1 sandwich: 623 calories, 37g fat (7g saturated fat), 26mg cholesterol, 1329mg sodium, 52g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 4g fibre), 18g protein.