Believe it or not, roast beef is the perfect start to a speedy grab-and-go meal like this one by health and fitness expert Dai Manuel. Use a small beef oven roast (try a quick roast such as top sirloin, sirloin tip or inside round), or use a grilling steak instead if you like.
- 1 beef quick roast cooked
- 1 avocado sliced
- 1 red onion sliced and marinated
- 2 tomatoes chopped
- 10 small tortillas
- cilantro leaves optional
- sour cream optional
- Season roast all over and place in shallow roasting pan. Insert ovenproof thermometer into the centre of the roast.
- Oven-sear by placing uncovered in preheated 450°F oven for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 275°F. Cook until thermometer reads 145°F for medium-rare or 160°F for medium doneness.
- Carve cooked roast into super thin slices, cutting across the grain.
- Heat a vinaigrette dressing to simmering and toss with onion slices to coat. Refrigerate in dressing.
- Assemble tortillas by layering sliced roast beef on warmed tortilla along with avocado slices, marinated onion and chopped tomato. Top with cilantro leaves and a dollop of sour cream (optional).
Tip: Beef Quick Roasts are roasts cut in a small size that cook in under an hour - they make the perfect-sized slices for the tortilla. They are roughly the size of a pork tenderloin, and can be cooked in the oven or on the barbecue by indirect heat.