Gourmet Grilled Cheese with Date-Bacon Jam
“This sandwich doubles up on melty cheese, but the star of the show is the sweet and salty date-bacon jam. It makes for a truly grown-up version of grilled cheese.” —Kathy Cooper, Tucson, Arizona
Photo: Taste of Home
- 1/2 lb bacon strips diced
- 1 cup finely chopped sweet onion
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 6 oz pitted dates chopped
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1 round brie cheese rind removed and softened, 8 ounces
- 8 slices sourdough bread
- 2 tbsp butter softened
- In a large cast-iron or other heavy skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp, stirring occasionally. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels. Discard all but 2 tablespoons drippings.
- Add onion to drippings; cook and stir over medium heat until softened. Reduce heat to medium-low;
- cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is deep golden brown and caramelized, 35-40 minutes, adding garlic during the last 5 minutes of cooking.
- Return bacon to skillet; add next 5 ingredients. Stir well. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Cool.
- For sandwiches, combine cheeses, mixing well. Layer 4 slices of bread with cheese mixture and 2 tablespoons date-bacon jam; top with remaining bread. Spread outsides of sandwiches with butter. In a nonstick skillet, toast sandwiches over medium-low heat until bread is golden brown and cheese is melted, 2-3 minutes per side. Cover and refrigerate remaining jam; save for another use.
1 sandwich: 572 calories, 33g fat (19g saturated fat), 97mg cholesterol, 1015mg sodium, 45g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 3g fibre), 25g protein.