Gluten-Free Chickpea-Chocolate Cake
Here’s a gluten-free cake that’s just as rich as your regular flour-based recipe-and guaranteed to have your whole clan clamouring for a slice.
- 300 g semi-sweet chocolate chopped, or 1-1/2 cups (375 mL) semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 can chickpeas rinsed and drained
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Grease a 9-inch (23-cm) round—or heart-shaped—cake pan and either line it with parchment paper or dust bottom and sides of pan with sifted gluten-free cocoa powder.
- In double boiler or heatproof bowl set over pot of barely simmering water, melt chocolate, stirring occasionally, until smooth.
- In bowl of a food processor, combine chickpeas, eggs and sugar; process until smooth. Add melted chocolate and blend until smooth, stopping occasionally to scrape down sides and make sure chocolate is completely mixed.
- Spread batter in prepared cake pan. Bake in preheated oven for 40 minutes, or until a knife inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 10 to 15 minutes before transferring to a serving plate.