I’ve never quite gotten the hang of making a good pie crust. So I came up with this recipe, featuring a cake mix and cookie crust. The creamy pumpkin filling pairs well with the crunchy topping.
Taste of Home
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
|18servings||40minutes||70minutes + cooling|
|70minutes + cooling|
- 1 package yellow cake mix divided, regular size
- 1 cup crushed gingersnap cookies
- 1/2 cup butter melted
- 1 large egg lightly beaten, room temperature
- 1 package cream cheese softened, 8 ounces
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 large eggs lightly beaten, room temperature
- 1 can pumpkin 29 ounces
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup crushed gingersnap cookies
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup cold butter cubed
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- Additional gingersnap cookies halved, optional
- Set aside 3/4 cup cake mix for topping. In a small bowl, combine gingersnap crumbs and remaining cake mix; stir in butter and egg. Press onto the bottom of a greased 13x9-in. baking dish; set aside.
- For filling, in a large bowl, beat cream cheese and brown sugar until smooth. Beat in eggs. Beat in the pumpkin, milk, cinnamon and vanilla and mix well. Pour over crust.
- For topping, in a small bowl, combine the gingersnap crumbs, sugar and reserved cake mix; cut in butter until crumbly. Stir in pecans. Sprinkle over filling.
- Bake at 325° for 70-75 minutes or until filling is set and a thermometer inserted in the centre reads 160°. Cool on a wire rack for 1-1/2 hours. If desired, garnish each serving with a gingersnap half. Store in the refrigerator.
1 piece: 430 calories, 25g fat (11g saturated fat), 89mg cholesterol, 425mg sodium, 49g carbohydrate (30g sugars, 4g fibre), 6g protein.