Ginger-Molasses Reindeer Cookies
As sweet to look at as they are to eat, these homemade treats from Walmart Canada complement the season’s favourite flavours of ginger, cinnamon cloves and sweet molasses—and they won’t break the bank either.
Photo: Courtesy of WALMART CANADA
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cloves
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter softened
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup fancy molasses
- 70 mini pretzel twists
- 1 pkg prepared red cookie icing
- 70 candy eyeballs
- Heat oven to 325F (160C). Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, salt and cloves.
- In a large bowl using a hand mixer or in the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy; about 2 minutes. Add egg and molasses, mixing until fully combined. In 2 equal parts, add flour mixture, mixing until just combined.
- Roll dough into 1 tbsp. (15 mL) balls and place on prepared baking sheets 1 1/2 inches apart, pressing down lightly with palm. Place two pretzels next to one another 1/4 inch (0.5 cm) inside the edge of each cookie to resemble antlers; press pretzels lightly to adhere to cookie dough.
- Bake in batches until just set; about 12 minutes. Let cool 4 minutes on sheets before cooling completely on racks. Once cooled, use cookie icing to adhere candy eyeballs to cookies and draw noses. Allow to set completely.