Ginger and Chocolate Cannellini Bean Cookies
No one will suspect that the main ingredient are beans, or that the fats contained in the cookies are healthy ones from the almonds and olive oil. These cookies are full of surprises!
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
- 14 oz cannellini beans rinsed and drained
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup almonds raw and chopped
- 2 oz dark chocolate chopped
- 1/3 cup candied ginger chopped
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour self-raising
- Preheat the oven to 180 C (350 F). Lightly oil two baking trays.
- Puree the beans in a blender or food processor. Add the egg, sugar and olive oil, and mix until well combined.
- Combine the oats, almonds, chocolate and ginger in a large bowl. Add the bean mixture and stir well. Add the flour and briefly stir until combined.
- Using two tablespoons of the mixture for each cookie, spoon onto the prepared trays and press into flat circles.
- Bake the cookies for 20 minutes, until evenly browned.
Replace the canned cannellini beans with 1-1/2 cups cooked beans made from 1/2 cup dried beans. You can also use other beans, such as black beans. Also, the cookies won't spread, so they can be placed quite close together on the trays.
Each serving (1 cookie) provides:
3 g protein
6 g protein (1 g saturated fat)
12 g carbohydrate (7 g sugars)
2 g fibre
55 mg sodium