Gemelli with Sausage, Rapini and Fennel
Number of servings : Prep time: Cooking time: Type of meal : | Main Courses | Main Courses Special diet
Number of servings :
Type of meal : | Main Courses | Main Courses
Special diet :
1 bunch, rapini (broccoli raab), rinsed
Salt, to taste
45 ml (3 tbsp) olive oil
5 ml (1 tsp) fennel seeds
675 g (1½ lb) Italian sausages, each in eight slices
250 ml (1 cup) red wine
1 can, 796 ml (28 oz) diced tomatoes, drained
Freshly ground pepper, to taste
Sugar, to taste
450 g (1 lb) gemelli, cooked al dente
Parmesan cheese, freshly grated, as required
- Remove the rapini flowers and set aside in a bowl. Trim the tough ends from the stems and cut the rest into 2.5 cm (1 in) pieces.
- Drop the rapini stems into a pot of boiling, salted water, and return to the boil. Add the flowers, cook another 15 seconds, then drain and set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat half the oil over medium heat, add the fennel seeds and cook for 30 seconds. Add the sausage slices and brown on both sides.
- Deglaze with the wine and reduce until all the liquid has evaporated. Add the tomatoes, stir to combine and reduce until thickened. Season with pepper and sugar to taste, then stir in the rapini and remaining oil.
- Add the pasta and stir to reheat.
- Serve immediately with the grated cheese.
Imported on 2011-01-20 20:26:46 — Original ID:2623