Frosted Anise Sugar Cookies
These soft, cake-like cookies have a pleasant anise flavour that’s distinctive but not overpowering. You can add red and green sprinkles for Christmas, but you could also decorate them to suit any occasion!
Photo: Taste of Home
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
|7dozen||30minutes||10minutes per batch|
|10minutes per batch|
- 1 cup butter softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 6 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 tsp anise extract
- 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 3 cups confectioner's sugar
- 4 tsp butter softened
- 3/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup whole milk
- coloured sprinkles optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and extracts. In another bowl, whisk flour and baking powder; gradually beat into creamed mixture.
- Drop by tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart onto greased baking sheets. Bake 8-10 minutes or until light brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For glaze, in a large bowl, mix confectioners' sugar, butter, vanilla and enough milk to achieve spreading consistency. Dip tops of cookies into glaze. If desired, decorate with sprinkles. Let stand until set.
1 cookie: 82 calories, 3g fat (2g saturated fat), 22mg cholesterol, 42mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 0 fibre), 1g protein.
Diabetic exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fat.
Originally published on Taste of Home.