“During chilly months, I fix this slow cooker jambalaya recipe at least once a month. It’s so easy…just chop the vegetables, dump everything in the slow cooker and forget it! Even my sons, who are picky about spicy things, like this easy jambalaya.” —Cindi Coss, Coppell, Texas
Photo: Taste of Home
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
- 1 can diced tomatoes undrained, 14-1/2 ounces
- 1 can beef or chicken broth 14-1/2 ounces
- 1 can tomato paste 6 ounces
- 3 celery ribs chopped
- 2 medium green peppers chopped
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 5 garlic cloves minced
- 3 tsp dried parsley flakes
- 2 tsp dried basil
- 1-1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1-1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp hot pepper sauce
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 lb smoked sausage halved and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1/2 lb uncooked medium shrimp peeled and deveined
- hot cooked rice
- In a 5-qt. slow cooker, combine the tomatoes, broth and tomato paste. Stir in the celery, green peppers, onion, garlic, seasonings and pepper sauce. Stir in chicken and sausage.
- Cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours or until chicken is no longer pink. Stir in shrimp. Cover and cook 15-30 minutes longer or until shrimp turn pink. Serve with rice.
- Freeze option: Place individual portions of cooled stew in freezer containers and freeze. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little water if necessary.
Test Kitchen Tips
- Oregano comes in two types. The sweet Mediterranean one is often simply labeled oregano. It belongs to the mint family. Mexican oregano, a member of the verbena family, has a more intense flavour and citrusy notes.
- To make a fresh garlic clove easy to peel, gently crush it with the flat side of a large knife blade to loosen the peel. If you don’t have a large knife, you can crush the garlic with a small can. The peel will come right off.
1 cup: 230 calories, 13g fat (5g saturated fat), 75mg cholesterol, 1016mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fibre), 20g protein.