Favourite Hamburger Stew
“I got this hamburger stew recipe from a woman at our church, Lois Henry, when I needed a way to use up our bounty of home-canned tomatoes. My husband loves it, and I like that it’s easy to warm up for a carefree dinner.” —Marcia Clay, Truman, Minnesota
Taste of Home
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 2 medium onions chopped
- 4 cans stewed tomatoes 14-1/2 ounces each, undrained
- 8 medium carrots thinly sliced
- 4 celery ribs thinly sliced
- 2 medium potatoes peeled and cubed
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup uncooked long-grain rice
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- In a Dutch oven, cook beef and onions over medium heat until meat is no longer pink, breaking it into crumbles; drain. Add the tomatoes, carrots, celery, potatoes, water, rice, salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 30 minutes or until vegetables and rice are tender.
- Uncover; simmer 20-30 minutes longer or until thickened to desired consistency.
1 cup: 191 calories, 7g fat (3g saturated fat), 35mg cholesterol, 689mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 2g fibre), 12g protein.