Farmers Market Orzo Salad
“Orzo is a tiny pasta shaped like rice. We use it as a base for veggies, lemony vinaigrette and cheeses such as mozzarella, feta or smoked Gouda.” —Heather Dezzutto, Raleigh, North Carolina
Photo: Taste of Home
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
- 1 package orzo pasta 16 ounces
- 2 small yellow summer squash halved lengthwise
- 1 medium zucchini halved lengthwise
- 1 medium red onion quartered
- 8 tbsp olive oil divided
- 1/2 tsp salt divided
- 1/4 tsp pepper divided
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 8 oz smoked mozzarella cheese cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 1-1/2 cups grape tomatoes halved lengthwise
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/2 cup pine nuts toasted
- Cook orzo according to package directions; drain. Brush yellow squash, zucchini and onion with 2 tablespoons oil; sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Grill vegetables, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from heat 10-12 minutes or until lightly charred and tender, turning once. Cool slightly. Cut into 1-in. pieces.
- In a small bowl, whisk lemon juice and remaining oil until blended. In a large bowl, combine orzo, grilled vegetables, mozzarella, tomatoes, basil and remaining salt and pepper. Add dressing; toss to coat. Sprinkle with pine nuts.
1-1/4 cups: 291 calories, 27g fat (7g saturated fat), 25mg cholesterol, 274mg sodium, 7g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fibre), 9g protein.