Extra-Meaty Pasta Sauce
Finding time to make a home-cooked meal is challenging for most, and making use of the freezer is a great way to stay on track for those extra busy weeks. This recipe can be prepared in advance, frozen, reheated and served over pasta for a quick and easy meal.
Photo: duBreton organic and Certified Humane® pork
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
- 1 pkg Italian sausages mild or hot
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb pork shoulder or pork cubes
- 1 lb ground pork
- 1 pkg sliced smoked ham minced
- 2 large onions chopped
- 3 celery stalks chopped
- 1 green pepper finely diced
- 1/2 lb mushrooms sliced
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 large can crushed tomatoes
- 2 large cans diced tomatoes
- 1 small can tomato paste
- 2 tbsp Italian seasoning
- to taste salt
- to taste freshly ground pepper
- Slice sausages in half lengthwise; remove and discard the casing.
- In a large pot, heat oil over high heat. Add pork roast and sear on all sides. Remove from pot and set aside.
- In the same pot, sauté sausage meat, ground pork and ham. Once meat is seared, add onions, celery, green pepper and garlic. Continue sautéing, stirring frequently until meat is cooked and vegetables are soft. Add crushed and diced tomatoes, tomato paste and seasoning. Bring to a boil and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Return pork shoulder to pot, reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer for 2 to 3 hours until pork is tender. Remove from pot, shred using two forks and return meat to sauce.
- Adjust seasoning to taste and serve over your favourite pasta.