Curried Red Lentils with Shrimp
You’ll surely get a kick out of this spicy and healthy dish!
- 36 baby shrimp cooked
- 1 can tomato purée
- 2 cups dried red lentils
- 2 tbsp tandoori curry paste
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 large onion diced
- 1 garlic clove minced
- Rinse lentils well in cold water. Place lentils in saucepan, cover with water (1 to 2 cups, or 250 to 500 mL) and simmer, covered, until lentils are tender, approximately 30 minutes. If needed, add more water. Drain lentils and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Sauté onion and garlic until softened. In a small bowl, combine curry paste, curry powder, turmeric, cumin, chili powder, salt and pepper. Add curry mixture to onion and continue cooking over high heat for 1 to 2 minutes. Add the tomato purée and reduce heat.
- Stir in tofu or baby shrimp and lentils, and simmer for about 5 minutes.
- When lentils are heated through, divide between four dishes and serve.