Crispy Crab Rangoon
“My husband loved the appetizers we ordered at a Chinese restaurant so much that I was determined to develop a crab rangoon recipe to make them at home. After two more trips to the restaurant to taste them again and about four home trials, I had them perfected.” —Cathy Blankman, Warroad, Minnesota
- 3 oz cream cheese softened
- 2 green onions finely chopped
- 1/4 cup finely chopped imitation crabmeat
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 16 wonton wrappers
- Oil for frying
- Sweet-and-sour sauce
- In a small bowl, beat cream cheese until smooth. Stir in onions, crab and garlic.
- Place about 1-1/2 teaspoons in the centre of a wonton wrapper. (Keep remaining wrappers covered with a damp paper towel until ready to use.) Moisten edges with water; fold opposite corners over filling and press to seal. Repeat.
- In an electric skillet, heat 1 in. of oil to 375°. Fry wontons, in batches, until golden brown, about 1 minute on each side. Drain on paper towels. Serve with sweet-and-sour sauce.
Crab Rangoon Recipe Tips
How do you keep crab rangoons from exploding?
To keep crab rangoons from exploding, try freezing your filled crab rangoons for about 15 minutes before throwing them in the oven. That way, they'll come out crispy and without any leakage. Be sure to wrap the wonton wrappers in batches, too, so the water doesn’t dry out around the edges. If the water dries out, your wonton wrappers will unfold.
How do you fry crab rangoons?
We recommend using an oil with a high smoke point, like canola oil, for frying crab rangoons. Heat the oil to 375° or a gentle boil and then fry the wontons until they're golden brown.
How do you store crab rangoons?
You can store crab rangoons in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 2 days. If you want to make them ahead of time, freeze uncooked crab rangoons in an airtight container for at least 1 hour or until solid. Fry them immediately after removing them from the freezer.
Research contributed by Christina Herbst, Taste of Home Assistant Digital Editor
1 rangoon: 61 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 6mg cholesterol, 77mg sodium, 5g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fibre), 1g protein.