Creamy Pumpkin Gnocchi
“We had homemade gnocchi frequently while growing up. This creamy pumpkin gnocchi recipe was always my favourite. They do require some time to make, but they’re worth it!” —Shawn Barto, Winter Garden, Florida
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
- 1 cup mashed potatoes (without added milk and butter)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg lightly beaten
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 2 tsp minced fresh sage
- 1/2 cup butter cubed
- 6 fresh sage leaves
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Shaved Grana Padano Riserva
- In a Dutch oven, bring 6 quarts salted water to a boil. Place potatoes in a large bowl. Using a fork, make a well in the potatoes; sprinkle with flour. Mix egg, pumpkin and minced sage; pour into well. Stir vigorously until blended. On a lightly floured surface, knead 10-12 times, forming a soft dough.
- Divide dough into 8 portions. On a floured surface, roll each portion into a 1/2-in.-thick rope; cut crosswise into 3/4-in. pieces. Press and roll each piece with a lightly floured fork. Cook gnocchi in batches in boiling water until they float, 3-4 minutes; remove with a slotted spoon.
- In a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Cook gnocchi until lightly browned, 7-8 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from the skillet; keep warm. For sauce, in same skillet, discard melted butter, reserving 2 tablespoons; add sage leaves and cook over medium heat until sage is crispy, 2-3 minutes, turning once. Remove sage and set aside. Add garlic and cook, stirring, 1 minute.
- Stir in flour until smooth; gradually whisk in cream, salt and 3/4 cup cooking water. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir until thickened, 3-4 minutes. Add gnocchi; toss to coat. Serve with reserved sage leaves and Parmesan cheese.
Freeze Option: Cover and freeze uncooked gnocchi in a single layer on waxed paper-lined baking sheets. Transfer to freezer containers; return to freezer. To use, cook gnocchi as directed.
3/4 cup: 327 calories, 15g fat (9g saturated fat), 67mg cholesterol, 213mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 3g fiber), 7g protein.