Cornbread Taco Bake
“Cornbread and beef bake together in one casserole dish, making this entree convenient. This Mexican cornbread casserole is packed with tempting seasonings, and the cheese and onions make an attractive topping.” —Vicki Good, Oscoda, Michigan
Taste of Home
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 can whole kernel corn 15-1/4 ounces, drained
- 1 can tomato sauce 8 ounces
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 envelope taco seasoning
- 1 package cornbread/muffin mix 8-1/2 ounces
- 1 can French-fried onions 2.8 ounces, divided
- 1/3 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in the corn, tomato sauce, water, green pepper and taco seasoning. Spoon into a greased 2-qt. baking dish.
- Prepare cornbread mix according to package directions for cornbread. Stir in half of the onions. Spread over beef mixture. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 20 minutes.
- Sprinkle with cheese and remaining onions. Bake until cheese is melted and a toothpick inserted into cornbread layer comes out clean, 3-5 minutes longer.
1 piece: 541 calories, 26g fat (9g saturated fat), 95mg cholesterol, 1491mg sodium, 48g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 5g fibre), 28g protein.