Contest-Winning Hearty Hamburger Soup
“At family get-togethers, our children always request this spirit-warming ground beef soup along with a fresh loaf of homemade bread and tall glasses of milk. This hamburger soup has robust flavour, plenty of fresh-tasting vegetables and is easy to make.” —Barbara Brown, Janesville, Wisconsin
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
- 1 lb ground beef
- 4 cups water
- 1 can diced tomatoes undrained, 14-1/2 ounces
- 3 medium carrots sliced
- 2 medium potatoes peeled and cubed
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 4 tsp beef bouillon granules
- 1-1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- 1 cup cut fresh or frozen green beans
- In a large saucepan, brown beef; drain. Add the next 10 ingredients; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until potatoes and carrots are tender. Add green beans. Cover and simmer 15 minutes longer or until the beans are tender.
Hamburger Soup Tips
Can you use chicken broth with ground beef?
Yes, you can use chicken broth! In most recipes, you can substitute chicken broth or bouillon granules for beef. Doing so will only slightly change the flavour.
How do you thicken hamburger soup?
After the potatoes and carrots are tender, ladle 1 cup of hot broth into a bowl containing 4 tablespoons of flour and whisk until smooth. Add the slurry back to the soup; stir and simmer until green beans are tender and soup is slightly thickened.
How do you make hamburger soup more flavourful?
For additional flavour, try roasting your vegetables until they are halfway cooked and then add them to the soup. Adjust the simmering time based on when the veggies are fully tender. Substituting ¾ teaspoon fresh minced oregano for the dried will also kick up the flavour. These flavour boosters work well, too.
1 cup: 178 calories, 7g fat (3g saturated fat), 38mg cholesterol, 984mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 3g fibre), 13g protein.