Classic Candy Cane Butter Cookies
“To make cookies that look like candy canes, we colour half the dough in classic red and twist away. They’re fun to hang on the side of a coffee mug, or you can devour them on their own.” —Shannon Roum, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Taste of Home
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
|36cookies||45minutes + chilling||10 minutes/batch + cooling|
|36cookies||45minutes + chilling|
|10 minutes/batch + cooling|
- 1 cup butter softened
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 large egg yolk room temperature
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- Red paste food colouring
- In a large bowl, cream butter, sugar and salt until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolk and vanilla; gradually beat in flour. Divide dough in half; mix food colouring into 1 half. Roll each dough portion into a 6-in. square. Wrap each in plastic; refrigerate at least 1 hour or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Cut each dough into 36 squares. Working with a quarter of the dough at a time, keep remaining dough refrigerated. Roll 1 piece of plain dough into a 6-in. rope; roll 1 piece of red dough into a 6-in. rope. Place ropes side by side. Lift left rope over the right; repeat to form a twist. Repeat with remaining dough. Curving top of each twist to form hook of cane, place 1 in. apart on parchment-lined baking sheets.
- Bake 7-9 minutes or until set. Cool on pans 3 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool.
1 cookie: 90 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 19mg cholesterol, 57mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.