Citrus Rainbow Carrots
“I grow lots of carrots and I’m always experimenting with ways to serve them. The first time I made this citrusy recipe for my husband, he said it tasted like Christmas! Although he calls them my ‘Christmas Carrots,’ they’re tasty anytime; I especially like serving them at Easter, with the array of carrots available in early spring. It’s easy to prepare, and can easily be doubled to serve a large group. To save time, I sometimes dice the carrots several days in advance.” —Sue Gronholz, Beaver Dam, Wisconsin
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
|6 servings||15minutes||10 minutes|
- 2 lb medium rainbow or regular carrot diagonally sliced
- 3 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1-1/2 tsp grated orange zest
- 2 tbsp orange juice
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/8 tsp ground cloves
- Place carrots and enough water to cover in a large saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook, uncovered, until tender, 8-10 minutes. Drain; return to pan.
- Add remaining ingredients. Cook over medium-high heat until carrots are glazed, 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Test Kitchen Tips
- Rainbow carrots can be deep burgundy, golden yellow, jeweled orange or creamy white in colour.
- Be careful to only zest the outer layer of orange peel. The white part underneath is bitter.
- One medium orange will yield about 4 teaspoons grated orange zest.
2/3 cup: 132 calories, 6g fat (4g saturated fat), 15mg cholesterol, 445mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 4g fiber), 2g protein.