Chocolate Pound Cake
“You’ll find this cake is good with ice cream, but it’s also delicate enough that you can serve small pieces for a tea.” —Ann Perry, Sierra Vista, Arizona
Photo: Taste of Home
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
|12slices||20minutes||90minutes + cooling|
|90minutes + cooling|
- 8 milk chocolate bars 1.55 ounces each
- 2 tbsp water
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs room temperature
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups cake flour sifted
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans optional
- confectioner's sugar optional
- Preheat oven to 325 F. In a saucepan, melt chocolate with water over low heat. Mixture will begin to harden.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add 1 egg at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the vanilla and chocolate mixture. Combine the flour, salt and soda; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk. Fold in nuts if desired.
- Pour into a greased and floured 10-in. tube pan or fluted tube pan. Bake for 1-1/2 hours or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar if desired.
1 slice: 353 calories, 11g fat (6g saturated fat), 93mg cholesterol, 248mg sodium, 59g carbohydrate (36g sugars, 1g fibre), 5g protein.