Chocolate Bourbon Balls
Even if mailed across the country, these sophisticated cookies will still be fresh and tasty when they reach their destination.
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
|30||35minutes||10minutes + 30 minutes standing|
|10minutes + 30 minutes standing|
- 8 oz chocolate wafers crushed
- 6 oz chocolate chips
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup bourbon
- 1/2 cup confectioner's sugar
- 1/3 cup candied red cherries chopped
- 3 tbsp corn syrup
- to taste granulated sugar
- In a double boiler over low heat, place chocolate chips, corn syrup, and bourbon. Stir frequently until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth. Cool to room temperature.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, mix wafers, nuts, confectioner's sugar, and chopped cherries. Add to the chocolate mixture and stir to blend. Let stand for 30 minutes.
- Cut whole cherries in half. Shape mixture into 1-inch balls with fingers. Roll in granulated sugar, then press 1 red or green cherry half into the top of each ball. Refrigerate, covered, until ready to pack or serve.
- To pack for mailing, line a sturdy box with waxed paper and pack balls tightly in layers separated by additional sheets of waxed paper. Crumble a few sheets and place on top as padding to keep the cookies from shifting. Tape box closed, then wrap in brown paper for mailing (don't forget to write "fragile" on the top and bottom!)