Chili-Stuffed Poblano Peppers
“While exploring Mexican restaurants, I tasted chiles rellenos and wanted to make them at home. My husband and I teamed up to create this stuffed poblano peppers recipe, which is one of our favourites.” —Lorrie Grabczynski, Commerce Township, Michigan
- 1 lb lean ground turkey 93% lean
- 1 can chili without beans 15 ounces
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1-1/2 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend divided
- 1 medium tomato finely chopped
- 4 green onions chopped
- 4 large poblano peppers
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Preheat broiler. In a large skillet over medium heat, cook turkey, crumbling meat, until no longer pink, 5-7 minutes; drain. Add chili and salt; heat through. Stir in 1/2 cup cheese, tomato and green onions.
- Meanwhile, cut peppers lengthwise in half; remove seeds. Place on a foil-lined 15x10x1-in. baking pan, cut side down; brush with oil. Broil 4 in. from heat until skins blister, about 5 minutes.
- With tongs, turn peppers. Fill with turkey mixture; sprinkle with remaining cheese. Broil until cheese is melted, 1-2 minutes longer.
Stuffed Poblano Peppers Tips
Are poblano peppers spicy?
No—poblano peppers aren’t very spicy at all. Peppers are measured on a heat scaled called Scoville heat units (SHU). On that scale, bell peppers score a 0, poblano peppers contain 1,500 SHU and jalapenos—which we all know for their spice level—contain 3,500 to 8,000 SHU. Some very spicy peppers rank into the millions! Poblanos are considered among the mildest peppers.
What other types of peppers could I use in this recipe?
Bell peppers are an easy stand-in for poblanos. Sweet banana peppers—which are also milder than poblanos, containing up to 500 Scoville units—are another good alternative. Choose large, regularly shaped peppers so they’re easy to stuff.
What can I do with poblano peppers?
Stuffed poblano peppers are great, but you can do so much more with them—try these other poblano pepper recipes.
Research contributed by Christine Rukavena, Taste of Home Book Editor
Wear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
2 stuffed pepper halves: 496 calories, 30g fat (11g saturated fat), 134mg cholesterol, 913mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 4g fibre), 40g protein.