Chicken Cucumber Pitas
“I wanted a good recipe for pitas. Seeing the large stack of garden-fresh cucumbers on my counter, I decided to improvise and create my own filling. It was a huge hit.” —Sheena Wellard, Nampa, Idaho
Photo: Taste of Home
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken breast
- 1 large cucumber quartered, seeded and sliced
- 1 can Sliced ripe olives drained, 2-1/4 ounces
- 1 medium tomato seeded and chopped
- 1 small sweet red pepper chopped
- 1/2 cup cubed cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 1/2 cup ranch salad dressing
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp Italian salad dressing
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 12 pita pocket halves
- In a large bowl, combine the first 7 ingredients. In a small bowl, combine the ranch dressing, mayonnaise, Italian dressing, garlic powder and pepper; pour over chicken mixture and toss to coat. Fill each pita half with a scant 1/2 cup chicken mixture.
Test Kitchen Tips
- Replace the chicken with a can of chickpeas for a meatless sandwich.
- Warm the pitas in the microwave just for a few seconds to make them more pliable and easier to fill without ripping.
- Health Tip: Substitute reduced-fat mayo and dressings to save 60 calories and 8g fat per serving.
2 filled pita halves: 445 calories, 22g fat (5g saturated fat), 49mg cholesterol, 747mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fibre), 22g protein.