Chicken and Avocado Bruschetta
Avocado is combined with other ingredients rich in anti-oxidants, such as citrus, olive oil and garlic, in a satisfying high-protein snack.
Photo: Anti-Ageing Diet Cookbook
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
|4||15 minutes + 10 minutes cooling||20minutes|
|4||15 minutes + 10 minutes cooling|
- 1 large chicken breast boneless and skinless
- 2 tbsp basil leaves
- 1 1/2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp grated lemon zest
- 4 thick slices wholegrain sourdough
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 ripe avocado diced
- 1 spring onion finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove halved
- 6 black peppercorns
- to taste freshly ground pepper
- Half-fill a medium saucepan with water and add the bay leaf and peppercorns. Cover and simmer 5 minutes. Add chicken, cover and simmer 10 minutes, or until just cooked. Remove chicken from water and transfer to a plate, cover loosely with plastic wrap and set aside in refrigerator to cool 10 minutes.
- Whisk 1 tablespoon oil, lemon zest, lemon juice and pepper to taste in a large bowl. Finely dice chicken and add to bowl with avocado, spring onion and basil leaves. Combine gently with a spoon.
- Preheat grill (broiler) to high. Rub both sides of bread thoroughly with garlic. Drizzle over remaining oil. Toast bread under grill 1-2 minutes each side, until lightly browned.
- Spoon chicken mixture over toast and serve.
You can use bought roasted or barbecued chicken if you prefer. You can make the chicken mixture up to 6 hours before you need it and store in the refrigerator.