Chef Jon Pong’s Treviso Salad
Between the maple mustard vinaigrette and slow roasted carrots, this treviso salad from Chef Jon Pong of Toronto’s Drake One Fifty is a satisfying meal in itself. For the perfect pairing, Pong recommends a 2016 Goose Island Gillian Belgian-style farmhouse ale.
Photo: Evan Bergstra
- Maple Mustard Vinaigrette
- 4 cloves roasted garlic pureed
- 2 tbsp grainy mustard
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/3 cup apple-cider vinegar (add 1 additional tbsp to the 1/3 cup)
- 3 tbsp white balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- heavy pinch thyme picked and chopped
- Slow Roasted Carrots
- 4 heirloom multicolour carrots
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tbsp honey
- 1/4 cup sherry vinegar
- 1 tsp salt
- Treviso Salad
- 1 head treviso chopped
- 2 cups baby kale
- 1 shallot sliced into rings
- 1 Granny Smith Apple sliced into small pieces
- pumpkin seeds toasted
Maple Mustard Vinaigrette
- Mix maple mustard vinaigrette ingredients in a bowl. Adjust seasoning with salt if needed
Slow Roasted Carrots
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F. Peel carrots and roll cut into 3-inch lengths. Heat up a large pan on medium high heat. Add olive oil and sauté carrots until lightly caramelized. Lower heat, add the honey and sherry vinegar and salt, and cook for about a minute. Place pan into oven (if oven-proof, otherwise pour onto a baking tray) and bake for about 15-20 minutes until tender. Remove from oven and cool at room temp.
- Toss treviso, baby kale, shallots and apple in a bowl with enough maple mustard vinaigrette to coat. Season with a little salt if needed. Place salad into a bowl, top with roasted carrots and pumpkin seeds.
2016 Goose Island Gillian is available for a limited time at Drake One Fifty and the LCBO beginning February 8, 2017.