“To try to get my family to eat more vegetables, I often ‘hide’ nutritional foods inside sweet treats. The carrots add wonderful moistness to these cupcakes, which have a rich cream cheese frosting. Now we can have our cake and eat our vegetables, too!” —Doreen Kelly, Rosyln, Pennsylvania
Photo: Taste of Home
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
|2dozens||15 minutes||20 minutes|
- 4 large eggs room temperature
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup canola oil
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground allspice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 cups grated carrots
- Chunky Frosting:
- 1 package cream cheese softened, 8 ounces
- 1/4 cup butter softened
- 2 cups confectioner's sugar
- 1/2 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup chopped raisins
- Preheat oven to 325°. In a large bowl, beat the eggs, sugar and oil. Combine the flour, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder, allspice and salt; gradually add to egg mixture. Stir in carrots.
- Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean, 20-25 minutes. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.
- For frosting, in a large bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until fluffy. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar until smooth. Stir in the coconut, pecans and raisins. Frost cupcakes. Store in the refrigerator.
1 each: 326 calories, 18g fat (5g saturated fat), 51mg cholesterol, 187mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (30g sugars, 1g fibre), 3g protein.