Caramel-Apple Skillet Buckle
“My grandma made a version of this for me when I was a little girl—and fresh apples from a tree in her backyard added an extra-special touch. I’ve adapted her recipe because I love the combination of apple, pecans and caramel.” —Emily Hobbs, Springfield, Missouri
Photo: Taste of Home
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
|12servings||35minutes||1hour + standing|
|1hour + standing|
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2-1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1-3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1-1/2 cups buttermilk
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cold butter
- 3/4 cup finely chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned oats
- 6 cups thinly sliced peeled Gala or other sweet apples (about 6 medium)
- 18 caramels unwrapped
- 1 tbsp buttermilk
- Vanilla ice cream, whipped cream, additional chopped pecans and ground cinnamon Optional toppings
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy, 5-7 minutes. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition. Pour into a greased 12-in. cast-iron or other ovenproof skillet.
- For topping, in a small bowl, mix brown sugar and flour; cut in butter until crumbly. Stir in pecans and oats; sprinkle over batter. Top with apples. Bake until apples are golden brown, 60-70 minutes. Cool in pan on a wire rack.
- In a microwave, melt caramels with buttermilk; stir until smooth. Drizzle over cake. Let stand until set. Serve with toppings as desired.
1 slice: 462 calories, 19g fat (9g saturated fat), 64mg cholesterol, 354mg sodium, 68g carbohydrate (42g sugars, 3g fiber), 7g protein.