Canadian Maple Turkey Chili
This Canadian Maple Turkey Chili is, frankly, as Canadian as it gets!
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
|4 to 6||15minutes||8 to 10hours|
|4 to 6||15minutes|
|8 to 10hours|
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- 6 slices bacon chopped
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1 lb lean ground turkey
- 10 mushrooms sliced
- 2 celery stalks finely chopped
- 1 large tomato chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper finely chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper finely chopped
- 1 can sodium-reduced condensed tomato soup
- 1 can baked beans in tomato sauce
- 2 cups mixed beans drained and rinsed
- 1 cup carrots chopped
- 2 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels thawed
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add bacon and cook, stirring, for 3 to 5 minutes or until slightly crisp. Drain all but 1 tbsp (15 mL) fat from pan. (Discard drained fat.)
- Add onion and sauté for 3 to 5 minutes or until tender and translucent. Add turkey and cook, breaking up with the back of a wooden spoon, for 5 to 7 minutes or until no longer pink inside. Transfer to slow cooker stoneware.
- Stir in mushrooms, celery, tomato, green pepper, red pepper, soup, baked beans in tomato sauce, mixed beans, carrots, maple syrup, chili powder, cumin, salt, pepper and cayenne.
- Cover and cook on Low for 8 to 10 hours or on High for 4 to 5 hours, until bubbling. Stir in corn and cook for 20 minutes.