Calico Squash Casserole
“I love to try out different recipes for the squash I grow in my garden. It’s fun to bring this beautiful casserole to potlucks because I know it’ll go fast. Even the little ones like it.” —Lucille Terry, Frankfort, Kentucky
Taste of Home
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
- 2 cups sliced yellow summer squash 1/4 inch thick
- 1 cup sliced zucchini 1/4 inch thick
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1/4 cup sliced green onions
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp salt divided
- 2 cups crushed butter-flavored crackers
- 1/2 cup butter melted
- 1 can condensed cream of chicken soup undiluted, 10-3/4 ounces
- 1 can sliced water chestnuts drained, 8 ounces
- 1 large carrot shredded
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 jar diced pimientos drained, 2 ounces
- 1 tsp rubbed sage
- 1/2 tsp white pepper
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- In a large saucepan, combine the first five ingredients; add 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cover and cook until squash is tender, about 6 minutes. Drain well; set aside.
- Combine crumbs and butter; spoon half into a greased shallow 1-1/2-qt. baking dish. In a large bowl, combine the soup, water chestnuts, carrot, mayonnaise, pimientos, sage, pepper and remaining salt; fold in squash mixture. Spoon over crumbs.
- Sprinkle with cheese and the remaining crumb mixture. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30 minutes or until lightly browned.
1 cup: 439 calories, 34g fat (13g saturated fat), 54mg cholesterol, 1055mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 3g fibre), 7g protein.