Cake Mix Brownies
“These cake mix brownies are a mash-up of two of my favourite desserts. A woman I worked with gave me a recipe for chocolate caramel brownies, and I have a recipe for yellow cake mix bars. I wondered what they would taste like together, so I tried it—and I’ve been making them ever since!” —Staci Mergenthal, Verdi, Minnesota
Photo: Taste of Home
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
|40servings||40minutes||20minutes + cooling|
|20minutes + cooling|
- 1 package chocolate cake mix regular size
- 3/4 cup butter melted
- 1 can evaporated milk divided (5 oz)
- 1 package Kraft caramel bits (11 oz)
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 package yellow cake mix regular size
- 1 large egg room temperature
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tbsp butter softened, divided
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk (14 oz)
- 1 package milk chocolate chips (11-1/2 oz)
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line a 13x9-in. baking pan with parchment; grease paper. In a large bowl, beat chocolate cake mix, melted butter and 1/3 cup evaporated milk until blended; batter will be thick. Reserve 1/4 cup batter for topping. Spread remaining batter into prepared pan. Bake 6 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a microwave, melt caramel bits and remaining 1/3 cup evaporated milk; stir until smooth. Sprinkle hot chocolate crust with semisweet chips; pour caramel mixture over top. Set aside.
- In another large bowl, beat yellow cake mix, egg and 1/2 cup softened butter until combined; batter will be thick. Reserve half for topping. Crumble remaining mixture over caramel layer. Bake 6 minutes.
- In a microwave, melt sweetened condensed milk, milk chocolate chips and the remaining 1 tablespoon butter; stir until smooth. Pour over yellow cake layer. Sprinkle with reserved yellow and chocolate cake batters. Bake until top is golden brown, 20-25 minutes. Cool completely on a wire rack. Store in an airtight container.
1 brownie: 272 calories, 13g fat (8g saturated fat), 27mg cholesterol, 260mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (28g sugars, 1g fibre), 3g protein.