Cajun Pork and Rice
“I created this recipe upon returning home from traveling. With little food in the house, I used what was there. My husband loves this dish because it’s tasty, and I love it because it’s easy.” —Allison Gapinski, Cary, North Carolina
Photo: Taste of Home
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
- 1-1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1-1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1-1/2 lb boneless pork loin chops
- 1 can petite diced tomatoes undrained (14-1/2 oz)
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 1 celery rib finely chopped
- 1 small carrot julienned
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1/2 tsp Louisiana-style hot sauce
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked instant rice
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 medium green pepper julienned
- Mix cumin and chili powder; sprinkle pork chops with 2 teaspoon spice mixture. Transfer to a 4-qt. slow cooker.
- In a small bowl, mix tomatoes, onion, celery, carrot, garlic, hot sauce, salt and remaining spice mixture; pour over chops. Cook, covered, on low until meat is tender, 4-5 hours.
- Stir in rice and chicken broth, breaking up pork into pieces. Cook, covered, on low until rice is tender, 12-15 minutes longer.
- In a small skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add green pepper; cook and stir 5-7 minutes or until crisp-tender. Serve on top of pork mixture.
1-1/2 cups pork mixture with 1/4 cup pepper strips: 423 calories, 12g fat (4g saturated fat), 82mg cholesterol, 573mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 4g fibre), 38g protein.
Diabetic Exchanges: 5 lean meat, 2-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable.