Cabbage Barley Soup
“My neighbour had an abundance of cabbage, so a group of us had a contest to see who could come up with the best cabbage dish. My vegetarian cabbage soup was the clear winner—they ate the whole pot!” —Lorraine Caland, Shuniah, Ontario
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
|8servings (3 quarts)||15minutes||6-1/4hours|
|8servings (3 quarts)||15minutes|
- 1 cup dried brown lentils rinsed
- 1/2 cup medium pearl barley
- 3 medium carrots chopped
- 2 celery ribs chopped
- 1/2 tsp poultry seasoning
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 bottle (46 oz) V8 juice
- 4 cups water
- 8 cups (about 16 oz) shredded cabbage
- 1/2 lb sliced fresh mushrooms
- 3/4 tsp salt
Portions: servings (3 quarts)
- Place first eight ingredients in a 5- or 6-qt. slow cooker. Add cabbage. Cook, covered, on low until lentils are tender, 6-8 hours.
- Stir in mushrooms and salt. Cook, covered, on low until mushrooms are tender, 15-20 minutes.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled soup in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little water if necessary.
Test Kitchen Tips
- Salt can prevent lentils from softening, so it’s added toward the end of cooking.
- One medium head of cabbage will yield about 8 cups shredded.
1-1/2 cups: 197 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 678mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 9g fiber), 11g protein.
Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 starch, 1 lean meat.