Brisket ‘n’ Bean Burritos
“This easy recipe is stuffed with not one, but two kinds of meat: smoky bacon and tender beef brisket.” —Ruth Weatherford, Huntington Beach, California
Taste of Home
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
- 2 lbs fresh beef brisket
- 1 cup onion chopped
- 3 bacon strips diced
- 1 can tomato sauce (8 oz.)
- 3/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 can refried beans (16 oz.)
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1 can green chilies (4 oz.), chopped
- 1-1/2 cups monterey jack cheese shredded
- 10 flour tortillas (10-in.), warmed
- Place brisket in a 5-qt. slow cooker; top with onion and bacon. Combine tomato sauce, pepper and salt; pour over meat. Cook, covered, on low until meat is tender, 4-1/2 to 5 hours.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, combine refried beans, salsa and chilies. Microwave, covered, on high until heated through, 2-3 minutes.
- Remove meat from slow cooker; when cool enough to handle, shred with 2 forks. Layer bean mixture, meat and cheese off-centre on each tortilla. Fold bottom and sides of tortilla over filling and roll up. Serve immediately.
- Freeze option: Individually wrap burritos in foil and freeze in freezer container. To use, partially thaw overnight in refrigerator. Preheat oven to 350°. Bake foil-wrapped burritos on a baking sheet until heated through. To reheat one burrito, remove foil and rewrap in damp paper towel; microwave on high until heated through, turning once. Let stand 15 seconds. May be frozen up to 2 months.
1 burrito: 483 calories, 17g fat (7g saturated fat), 62mg cholesterol, 963mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 9g fibre), 33g protein.