Brats with Sauerkraut
“I’ve made many variations of this excellent main dish. The bratwurst can be plain, smoked or cheese-flavoured, served whole or cut in slices, with a bun or without. It would be popular at a party or potluck.”
Taste of Home
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
- 8 uncooked bratwurst links
- 1 can sauerkraut (14 oz.), rinsed and well drained
- 2 medium apples peeled and finely chopped
- 3 bacon strips cooked and crumbled
- 1/4 cup brown sugar packed
- 1/4 cup onion finely chopped
- 1 tsp ground mustard
- 8 brat buns split
- Place the bratwurst in a 5-qt. slow cooker. In a large bowl, combine the sauerkraut, apples, bacon, brown sugar, onion and mustard; spoon over bratwurst.
- Cover and cook on low until a thermometer inserted in the sausage reads 160°, 6-8 hours.
- Place brats in buns; using a slotted spoon, top with sauerkraut mixture.
1 brat: 534 calories, 28g fat (11g saturated fat), 53mg cholesterol, 1188mg sodium, 51g carbohydrate (18g sugars, 4g fibre), 21g protein.