Braised Beef Shank
This braised beef shank makes for a heart, no-fuss meal.
- 3 lb beef shank single piece, tied for stewing
- 12 juniper berries crushed
- 6 bay leaves
- 6 garlic cloves
- 2 whole cloves
- as required butter
- 4 leeks whole, white part only
- 32 oz beef stock
- to taste sea salt
- 1 small rutabaga peeled, sliced in rounds
- 12 small carrots scrubbed
- 12 small potatoes scrubbed
- Tie the first 4 ingredients securely in a cheesecloth bag to make a bouquet garni and set aside.
- In a stewing pot, brown the meat in the butter on all sides.
- Add the bouquet garni, leeks, stock and salt. Add water to cover.
- Bring to a boil, cover and simmer for 3 hours.
- Add boiling water during the cooking time, if necessary, to keep the meat covered.
- Add the vegetables, return to the boil, cover and simmer another 30 minutes.
- Place the meat on a heated serving platter, arrange the vegetables around it and pass the stewing liquid in a gravy boat.