Braised Beef Shank
This braised beef shank makes for a heart, no-fuss meal.
- Tie the first 4 ingredients securely in a cheesecloth bag to make a bouquet garni and set aside.
- In a stewing pot, brown the meat in the butter on all sides.
- Add the bouquet garni, leeks, stock and salt. Add water to cover.
- Bring to a boil, cover and simmer for 3 hours.
- Add boiling water during the cooking time, if necessary, to keep the meat covered.
- Add the vegetables, return to the boil, cover and simmer another 30 minutes.
- Place the meat on a heated serving platter, arrange the vegetables around it and pass the stewing liquid in a gravy boat.