Beef Wellington Appetizers
“Flaky puff pastry, savoury beef tenderloin and tangy horseradish cream easily come together for positively holiday-worthy hors d’oeuvres.” —Joan Cooper, Sussex, Wisconsin
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
|16appetizers (1-1/2 cups sauce)||45minutes||15minutes|
|16appetizers (1-1/2 cups sauce)||45minutes|
- 2 beef tenderloin steaks cut into 1/2-inch cubes, 8 ounces each
- 2 tbsp olive oil divided
- 1-1/4 cups chopped fresh mushrooms
- 2 shallots chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1/3 cup sherry or chicken broth
- 1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 1 tbsp minced fresh parsley
- 1 package frozen puff pastry thawed, 17.3 ounces
- 1 large egg beaten
- HORSERADISH CREAM:
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp prepared horseradish
- 1 tbsp minced chives
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Additional minced chives optional
Portions: appetizers (1-1/2 cups sauce)
- In a large skillet, brown beef in 1 tablespoon oil. Remove and keep warm.
- In same skillet, saute mushrooms and shallots in remaining oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add sherry, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Stir in cream, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil; cook until liquid is almost evaporated, about 7 minutes. Stir in beef and parsley; set aside and keep warm.
- Preheat oven to 400°. On a lightly floured surface, unfold puff pastry. Roll each sheet into a 12-in. square. Cut each into 16 squares.
- Place 2 tablespoonfuls of beef mixture in center of half of squares. Top with remaining squares; press edges with a fork to seal. Place on parchment-lined baking sheets. Cut slits in top; brush with egg. Bake until golden brown, 14-16 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine horseradish cream ingredients; serve with appetizers. Garnish with additional chives if desired.
To Make Ahead: Freeze unbaked pastries on baking sheets until firm, then wrap and store in the freezer for up to 2 months. When ready to use, bake frozen appetizers at 400° for 16-18 minutes or until golden brown.
1 appetizer: 315 calories, 22g fat (6g saturated fat), 45mg cholesterol, 231mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 2g fibre), 10g protein.