Bars of Gold
Former Royal Chef Darren McGrady puts a regal spin on the traditional British Flapjack. The secret ingredient? Kellogg’s Corn Flakes!
- 3 sticks unsalted butter
- 3 tbsp golden syrup or corn syrup
- 1-1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup self-rising flour plus 1 tbsp
- 1/4 tsp ground turmeric
- 2 cups quick oats
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 cups Kellogg's Corn Flakes
- 1/2 cup chia seeds
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a 12x9x1" baking tray.
- Melt the butter and golden syrup in a large saucepan over low heat without boiling the mixture. Add the sugar all at once and stir to combine, cooking until the sugar has melted. Stir in the self-rising flour, turmeric, oats, sunflower seeds, salt and Kellogg's Corn Flakes.
- Spoon the mixture onto the prepared baking tray and smooth it out with a spoon. Sprinkle the chia seeds over the top. Bake in the centre of the oven for about 20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from the oven and cool slightly. Cut the sheet into 1x3" "fingers" while still warm and allow to cool completely before serving.