Bacon, Turkey and Fried Green Tomato Club
This recipe by Top Chef Canada’s Andrea Nicholson, in partnership with Greenfield Natural Meat Co., is the perfect summer meal for Canadians. Plus, the bacon and turkey are antibiotic and hormone-free!
Photo: Greenfield Natural Meat Co.
- Club Sandwich
- 4-6 slices Greenfield oven roasted turkey breast
- 6 slices Greenfield bacon cooked
- 4 tbsp hummus
- 4 slices Fried Green Tomatoes
- 6 slices bread toasted
- 1/4 cup arugula
- 2 slices Swiss cheese
- 2 tbsp roasted garlic mayo
- Fried Green Tomatoes
- 2-3 medium green tomatoes
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tbsp dry mustard
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- vegetable oil for frying
- Pour about 1 inch (2.5 cm) of oil into a large skillet, like a large cast iron skillet, and heat to 350° F (177° C).
- While the oil is heating, set up a breading station. Fill the first one with the flour, paprika and dry mustard, and whisk together. In the second bowl, whisk together the milk and egg. In the third bowl, add in 1 cup (250 mL) of cornmeal.
- Slice the green tomatoes into 1⁄4-inch (0.5-cm) thick discs. Lay flat on a plate and lightly sprinkle with salt.
- Dip tomato slices, one at a time, into the flour mixture and coat each side. Set it back onto the plate. Once the tomatoes are dipped into the flour, let them rest for about 2-3 minutes, this will let the juices from the tomatoes stick to the flour. One at a time, dip them back into the flour to coat both sides, dip them in the milk mixture and then into the cornmeal, coating both sides. Place the tomato slices on a place.
- Once the oil reaches 350° F (177° C), fry 2-3 tomato slices at a time. Fry for about 1-2 minutes or until each side is golden brown. Remove from the hot oil with a slotted spoon and lay on a paper towel-lined plate to drain and rest.
- Lay out one slice of toasted bread and spread on hummus. Layer on the Swiss cheese, bacon and half of the arugula. Add another layer of bread, adding garlic mayo. Layer on the turkey, fried green tomatoes and the rest of the arugula. Top with a piece of bread that has been smeared with hummus. Cut into wedges and serve.