“This family recipe dates back to the 1930s, when my grandmother started making her clever breakfast roll-ups.” —Janet Abate, North Brunswick, New Jersey
Photo: Taste of Home
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
- 1/3 cup onion finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 cups day-old bread cubed
- 1/4 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 large egg lightly beaten
- 10 bacon strips
- In a small skillet, saute onion in butter until tender. In a large bowl, combine the bread cubes, celery salt, garlic powder, salt, pepper and onion mixture; toss to mix evenly. Add egg; toss to coat bread cubes. Roll into ten 1-1/4-in. balls. Wrap a bacon strip around each ball. Secure with a toothpick. Repeat with remaining ingredients.
- In a large skillet, cook bacon roll-ups on all sides over medium heat for 18 minutes or until bacon is crisp and a thermometer inserted into stuffing reads at least 160°. Drain on paper towels.
2 each: 348 calories, 30g fat (11g saturated fat), 79mg cholesterol, 613mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fibre), 7g protein.