Bacon Parmesan Popovers
“This recipe proves that simple ingredients often result in the best-tasting dishes. These popovers are a nice change from ordinary toast or muffins.” —Donna Gaston, Coplay, Pennsylvania
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 bacon strips diced
- In a large bowl, beat eggs and milk. Combine flour, cheese and salt; add to egg mixture and mix well. Cover and let stand at room temperature for 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 450°. In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels to drain. Grease cups of a nonstick popover pan well with some of the bacon drippings; set aside. Stir bacon into batter; fill prepared cups two-thirds full.
- Bake 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350° (do not open oven door). Bake until deep golden brown, about 15 minutes longer (do not underbake).
- Run a table knife or small metal spatula around edges of cups to loosen if necessary. Immediately remove popovers from pan; prick with a small sharp knife to allow steam to escape. Serve immediately.
Editor's Note: You may use greased muffin tins instead of a popover pan. Fill every other cup two-thirds full with batter to avoid crowding the popovers; fill remaining cups with water. Bake at 450° for 15 minutes and then at 350° for 10 minutes. Makes: 9 popovers.
1 popover: 167 calories, 7g fat (3g saturated fat), 73mg cholesterol, 248mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 7g protein.