Bacon-Wrapped Onions with Wild Blueberry and Cheese Filling
This unique recipe combines all of your favourite ingredients into one mouth-watering appetizer.
Photo: Wild Blueberry Association of North America
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
- 8 yellow onions peeled, tops removed
- 8 bacon slices
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 bunch rosemary leaves picked and chopped
- 1/2 bunch thyme leaves picked and chopped
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 2/3 cup whipping cream
- 1 cup wild blueberries liquid strained
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese finely grated
- 2/3 cup dry white wine
- 1 bunch watercress washed and dried
- to taste salt
- to taste ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- Remove cores from onions and finely dice.
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Add whole onions to pot, reduce heat to low and cook for 3-4 minutes. Remove onions from pot, drain on a tray lined with a kitchen towel and pat dry.
- Season each onion with salt and pepper. Wrap each onion with a slice of bacon, secure with a toothpick and place in an even layer in an oven-safe baking dish.
- Heat olive oil in a pan over medium heat. Add diced onions and herbs, season with salt and pepper, sauté until golden and tender.
- Add garlic and cream to pan, mix together and reduce to a creamy consistency. Remove pan from stove, carefully fold in wild blueberries and cheese keeping berries whole. Once cheese has melted, pour cream mixture into centre of onions.
- Add wine and reserved rosemary to bottom of oven-safe dish. Bake for approximately 30 minutes until cheese is caramelized and bacon is crisp.
- Remove onions from oven, garnish with watercress and serve.
Nutrition facts per serving:
Energy: 190 kcal / 790 kJ
Protein: 6 g
Fat: 13 g
Carbohydrates: 9 g
Sodium: 1200 mL