Apple Pie Ricotta Waffles
“I had apples and ricotta cheese to use up, so instead of making a pie I decided to do something different. The result was these fluffy, tender waffles with just a hint of sweetness.” —Teri Rasey, Cadillac, Michigan
Photo: Taste of Home
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
- 1/4 cup butter
- 6 medium apples peeled and chopped
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp quick-cooking grits
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 cup reduced-fat ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups fat-free vanilla Greek yogurt
- fresh blueberries optional
- In a large skillet, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add apples, sugar, honey, cinnamon and vanilla; cook and stir until apples are crisp-tender, 10-12 minutes. Remove from heat and keep warm.
- Preheat waffle iron. In a large bowl, whisk flour, grits, cornstarch, baking soda and salt. In another bowl, whisk eggs, buttermilk, ricotta, oil and vanilla until blended. Add to dry ingredients; stir just until moistened.
- Bake waffles according to manufacturer’s directions until golden brown. Serve with apple topping, yogurt and, if desired, blueberries.
1 waffle: 633 calories, 31g fat (8g saturated fat), 96mg cholesterol, 709mg sodium, 70g carbohydrate (31g sugars, 4g fibre), 18g protein.