Apple Balsamic Chicken
“I just love the sweet and tart flavour that balsamic vinegar gives to this dish. It’s easy to prepare and after cooking in the slow cooker, the chicken thighs are tender and flavourful.” —Juli Snaer, Enid, Oklahoma
Photo: Taste of Home
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
- 4 bone-in chicken thighs about 1-1/2 lb, skin removed
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup apple cider or juice
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- Place chicken in a 1-1/2-qt. slow cooker. In a small bowl, combine the broth, cider, vinegar, lemon juice and seasonings; pour over meat. Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours or until chicken is tender.
- Remove chicken; keep warm. Skim fat from cooking liquid. In a small saucepan, melt butter; stir in flour until smooth. Gradually add cooking liquid. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2-3 minutes or until thickened. Serve with chicken.
Test Kitchen tips
- Balsamic vinegar originates in Italy and is aged in wooden barrels.
1 chicken thigh with 1/3 cup sauce: 277 calories, 15 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 103 mg cholesterol, 536 mg sodium, 9 g carbohydrate (4 g sugars, 0 fibre), 25 g protein.